These Numbers Network World Map

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Children Of The Nations: By Greg Head

Date: June 2007
Location: Lira, Uganda
contact: gregshead@gmail.com

As I sat with these teenage boys in the middle of Northern Uganda at a government sponsored school an hour outside of Lira Uganda, I looked into their faces wondering if I was offering them anything of value. After all, I'm reading them a story that is all too real to them and almost unbelievable to me. A boy and girl get kidnapped by a group of rebel leaders, are forced to do horrific acts of violence and then escape with the help of their angel and begin to heal with the other victims around them. Oh, and they somehow accept Christ along the way. As I asked these 13 year old boys probing questions about their experiences being abducted and getting some replies but mostly distant looks, I wondered "Am I doing anything of any good? Why don't I feed them, give them medicine? At least then they'd know I cared about them by giving them something they value, something they want."

My trip with Children of the Nations was turning sour on me. All of my idealistic plans to save the Children of northern Uganda from the trauma they endured seemed like an insurmountable and completely impossible challenge. I felt I was letting down a wonderful organization that cared so deeply for the children of Africa and Dominican Republic.

And then there's the story of Bosco. Bosco was a 13 year old boy in my group. He shared with the other boys but often shared deep experiences. He shared how when the rebels came to their town, he was inside his hut when he saw them shoot his brother just a few feet away. He described how he had nightmares almost every night where he saw his brother being shot. He would wake up crying.

After 3 days with the children, I prayed to God "Help me to know what I did wasn't completely useless" After finishing the story and main questions on our 4th and final, I asked the group "How has this story helped you heal?" After the typical moments of silence, Bosco spoke up and told myself and the translator "I no longer have dreams where I wake up crying" Another boy who hadn't spoke up much in the group said "Because of this story, I now know God" I walked away completely amazed at what God had done through a simple story. The truth is I'll never know how my simple being in Africa, reading a story made a difference in these children and youth adults lives. But I do know that these Ugandan people have a hope that shines through the darkness and will continue to heal. We're all invited to be a part of that.

Please check out:

Children of the Nations
Invisible Children

No comments: